I don’t want to be the only one here
Telling all the secrets–
Filling up all the bowls at this party,
Taking all the laughs.
I would like you
To start putting things on the table
That can also feed the soul
The way I do.
we can invite
A hell of a lot moreHafiz
Hafiz would be happy to know his wish has been fulfilled. We are standing on the shoulders of many many before us… Men and women who know the terrain that lies beyond the borders, who have taken the road not taken. They are guides whose work connects and meets us wherever we are on the path. Some are from ages gone by, some are still alive…to all of them we are grateful. Here is a selection of work you might find would serve you on your journey…it has certainly helped us on ours.
We’re always adding to the list below…notice something missing? Let us know
In July of 2016 Belden Lane joined Illuman of Washington for a retreat hosted in partnership with The Seattle School of Theology and Psychology. Here is his opening night talk, full of stories and some thoughtful exploration on the power places have to shape us.
Illuman National’s YouTube Channel contains many video resources for free
- Illuman National – Drumbeat
- Illuman of Washington – Subscribe on the right
- Hafiz- as translated by Daniel Ladinsky
- Mary Oliver
- Rumi- as translated by Coleman Barks
- David Whyte
- Rainer Maria Rilke
Authors & Books
- Bill Plotkin, Soulcraft, Wild Mind
- Richard Rohr, Falling Upward, The Naked Now, Everything Belongs, Adam’s Return, From Wild Man to Wise Man, Breathing Underwater, Immortal Diamond
- Belden Lane, Backpacking with the Saints
- Matthew Fox, Meditations with Meister Eckhart, Meister Eckhart: A Mystic-Warrior for Our Times
- Stephen Jenkinson, Die Wise
- Francis Weller, The Wild Edge of Sorrow
- Christian Wiman, My Bright Abyss
- Robert Bly, Iron John, A Little Book on the Human Shadow
- Michelle Alexander, The New Jim Crow
- Robert Moore and Robert Gillette, King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine
Therapists and Spiritual Directors
We have a number of men (and women) to whom we would refer you for individual work. Contact us for a list.
Organizations/Communities with who we have connections
Center for Action and Contemplation The home for this work for 20 years before we were birthed as a separate and stand alone community in 2012. Many come to us still through the work of Richard Rohr. Check out his daily emails for a regular dose of wisdom.
The Seattle School of Theology and Psychology An extensive amount of crossover exists between The Seattle School and Illuman, including faculty, staff, students, and alumni, and the leadership of Illuman of Washington. This graduate school invites their students to deeply engage their own stories as an essential aspect of the education process.
Ekone Ranch and White Eagle Wilderness Cemetery Ekone and it’s wilderness graveyard, are the site of our annual Elder Rites of Passage. We have led grave digging retreats there as well. While working primarily with children, they also host retreats for adults as well.
Skalitude Wilderness Retreat Center Skalitude is the site for our Men’s Rites of Passage we currently offer on even numbered years.
Animas Valley Institute. A number of men in Illuman have chosen to further their inner journey with Animas, and Bill Plotkin and Richard Rohr have worked together for years. Twice now Bill has been a featured teacher at Soularize, Illuman’s annual gathering in New Mexico.
Rites of Passage Journeys. A Seattle based community that has been doing ROP work for decades.